Monday, September 21, 2009

Big and Tall.

Okay, first of all, I would like to say, I know plus-size shopping has improved tremendously over the last few years.

fully aware.


HOWEVER, it irks me when mainstream fashion for us Fats, means butterfly sleeved, high collar, wide flared, brightly-colored and horizontal striped potato sacks. NOT TO MENTION 1-inch boots, with rounded toes and cheesy buckles.

Look, just because I'm a little (let's pretend here) overweight, does NOT mean I am happy with any piece of fabric that covers my protruding gut.
No, I'm not happy about my size, but does that really mean I have to sacrifice any sort of personal style I may have scavenged for in my teens and early adulthood?

And unless I want to start practicing BBW inspired sadomasochistic bondage (www.torrid.com) or dress like a roundish tween (www.alloy.com) I have to settle for the mom-jean, worrisome-ly Spinster-like ensembles from Old Navy. AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON 'WOMAN WITHIN'.

Seriously, though. I feel like I should start a clothing line- and not only for the Chubs of my age, but for older, and younger alike.

This is where I would start:

-Accentuate sexy curves, while minimizing focal points on bulge. (i.e. Low necklines, tighter to-the-elbow sleeves, slender at the waist, but loose at the stomach and hips.)

-Control Top jeans that aren't so wide they hide your feet (look, I know control top is not sexy, but let's be real. They're bomb.)

-Skinny, but not pencil jeans. (THEY FIT INTO BOOTS BETTER. BOOTS HAVE ENOUGH TROUBLE AS IT IS WITH MY LARGE CALVES WITHOUT HAVING TO EXTEND TO FIT THE BULK OF MY JEANS).

-Some suitable heels (i.e. 2-3 inch but with excellent traction and a thicker heel- throwing in some stylish boots with maybe a wider calf size, would be helpful.)

-Stylish shrugs, sweaters and outerwear (because I am not going anywhere in just a tanktop- no matter how cute it is.)


Look, I know these things exist out there already. I know it, because I have found them.
And because I have already done the shopping, here are some tips.

Torrid is expensive. But, has a healthy collection of cute boots- if you're into that. However, they also have a healthy collection of potential stripper clothing, so... beware.

Alloy is aimed at young people. However, they are good for scarves, some of their boots, a lot of their flannels and flowing tops- and are pretty reasonable.

Old Navy is a reserve. Rarely do they have things I think are awesome. Keep in mind though, each fall season, they usually get in a good collection of stylish outerwear- which can sometimes be pricey. However, three years ago I bought an amazing plaid peacoat style jacket for around 80 bucks, and it still is rocking it today.

Woman Within
is sort of an embarrassing one. BUT, they sometimes have wide-calf boots, which if pulled with the right ensemble will look more vintage-chic than desperate measure.

If you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

"You have to exercise for a week to work off the thigh fat from a single Snickers."

-Albert Einstein (not kidding, he did actually say this).